Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:13:33 -0500
Hi Mickey,

----- Original Message -----
> Giles,
> The link was for lovely pictures of Aisling, you sneak. I did find the
bokeh
> pics you refer to. They demonstrate a real quality among lenses, that
> doesn't seem to be big in the sales folders. Is there a technical
> measurement for this effect?  Is it all subjective?
> Mickey

I'm not Giles, but here's my take on bokeh at the moment.

Almost any lens, including wides when used with a little extension, can show
a significant amount of blur (which is a translation of Japanese "bokeh") in
contrast to a sharply-focused subject.  Sometimes the blur is attractive
because it sets off the subject impressively.  Sometimes the blur in itself
is attractive if you like its smoothness and/or color.

Among the more objective elements are they way the diaphram of the lens is
reflected, usually in specular highlights.  The more "leaves" in the
diaphram, and consequently the rounder the image of the diaphram in the
highlights, the smoother these reflections may look.  Perhaps this will also
be indicative of a smoother quality throughout the blurred part of the
image, but I'm skeptical of that.

Also I think an objective characteristic that might be associated with bokeh
is a quality of three-dimensionality that a very good lens creates.  I'm not
sure what might account for this effect.  Among Giles' two images of the
water drops, the image made with the 80 does not have it, but the one made
with the 90/f2 does.  Both otherwise seem to be outstanding lenses in all
other respects.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA