Re: [OM] 35rc w/ Bad Meter - What to do?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35rc w/ Bad Meter - What to do?
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:19:11 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Hal Landvoigt wrote:

> I just bought a 35rc on Ebay and the meter in it is bad.  When I press
> down on the shutter button, I can see the light meter needle sweep
> across the scale (the further I press the shutter, the more the needle
> moves from right to left), but otherwise the needle is not visible and
> the meter is unresponsive. I do have a new battery in it. Is this worth
> trying to fix or should I just look for another camera?

But surely, they're supposed to do that?  You set the shutter speed,
then as you press the shutter release the needle sweeps across the
display until it reaches the aperture which the meter has selected for
correct exposure.  In manual, the needle sweeps across to the aperture
you have selected.  It's not a moving coil meter needle such as you'd
find in an OM-1, it's connected via an adjustable (aperture dependent)
mechanical linkage to the shutter release.

To see if it is working, try the same scene with different shutter
speeds and see how far the needle moves before the shutter is released,
or look at the lens and see how far the aperture opens.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |