Re: [OM] TOPE comments

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE comments
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:04:31 GMT
One of the web photo forums I participate in encourages, and is considering making a requirement, that folks who upload photos to the critique session also add their critiques to photos uploaded by others.

Like making images, the critique is a learned art. While we don't have to follow any particular rules other than to be constructive (which isn't the same as fawning compliments), I believe that straining my own brain to write about what I think works/doesn't work in a particular image helps me in the creation of my own images.

Sometimes I can't think of anything more to say than: "Love the potential in this composition, but would love it better cropped such-and-such way. Can't think of a single other thing I'd change." But, as a photo contributer, that's sometimes all I'd need to hear.

About the only thing I waffle on is lightness/darkness/gamma, since that's so difficult to set just right for everyone's system, given the lack of a true standard.

My excuse: I've been putting of my TOPE comments 'til I can do 'em all at once. %^q