Re: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy (was: OM-3Ti)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy (was: OM-3Ti)
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:17:02 +0200
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:34:56 -0700, Winsor Crosby
<wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>-snip
>>
>>All cameras with LCD's in them will get useless in a few decades or
>>less, so the OM-4 will no longer do its work then. The OM-3(T), rather
>>than the OM-4(T), will still do its main task with a separate meter
>>when the display has worn out.
>>-snip
>>Any other views?
>>
>>Frank van Lindert
>>Utrecht NL.
>>

>Frank,
>
>Do I misunderstand? I thought the LCD was just a display of what is
>going on in the circuitry. Assuming the LCD goes south on the OM4Ti
>why wouldn't you still be able to make manual settings as with the
>OM3Ti?  In addition, it seems to me that you would still be able to
>use the aperture controlled automatic exposure, spot meter and the
>other controls. You just would not be sure what the settings were.
>
>Winsor

You are right, Winsor - maybe I didn't express myself clear enough.
Of course, without the display, you can still use the OM-4 on manual.

But then - without the metering being visible - why should you use an
electronic camera if the mechanical OM-3 or OM-1 is available? No
battery needed at all with those machines!

In other words, once the metering capacity has been lost on the OM-4
then the mechancal cameras, being less vulnerable, will probably have
the longest life.

Of course the discussion is a bit academic as long as there are enough
replacements, and there will be enough OM-4T's available to outlive my
photographic needs.... But the related topic of the most suitable
backup camera on a particular job is less academic.
I will _always_ prefer an OM-1 for backup over an OM-4. I have a very
old OM-1N which is always in my car (summer and winter) and it has
never failed when I needed it.

Frank.