Re: [OM] polarizer -- linear or circular ?

Subject: Re: [OM] polarizer -- linear or circular ?
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:39:48 +0200

The reason is that the OM-2sp, OM-3, and OM-4 use a semi-silvered mirror that
allows a portion of the light through to another mirror that directs the light
to the metering cells in the bottom of the mirror box. See R. Lee Hawkins
Olympus FAQ - B28.

 http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html#ques_B28

The OM-1, -1n, -2, and -2n do not use a semi-silvered mirror.

I don't think autofocus cameras need circular polarizers, unless they use
semi-silvered mirrors as part of the autofocus system; anyone know for sure?

Regards, Roger Key

:Why is this so? Something to do with spot metering? What about the OM40 (PC)? I
:thought linear polarizers only adversely affected aoto focus.

:Confused, Mike Blayney.

--- rdk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> OM-1, OM-1n, OM-2, OM-2n            linear or circular polarizer
> OM-2Sp, OM-3, OM-4                          circular polarizer only
>
> Regards, Roger Key CPH
>

> >Does the om-1 and om-2sp require linear or circular polarizers ?
>
> >Alan

=====
Mike Blayney, Devon, UK.