Re: [OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:14:29 GMT
Yup, until one reaches a certain magnification in print it's very difficult to tell 35mm apart from MF and even LF. Even before reaching that point some folks discern a certain quality in tonality - absent from 35mm - before noting any change in overall resolution. I recently saw some 8x10s at an art gallery that I honestly thought were contact prints from LF. I'd really thought I had a better eye. But, as we all know, film is so much better than in years past...

I was fortunate to learn on MF and LF gear in school. It taught me that for my purposes and interests, I didn't need it. I'd like to return to it someday but for prints of 11x14 and less, it just doesn't make that much difference.

Now, in the digital world vs. silver halide, it might. Ctein and others versed in both areas have noted that film scanners tend to pick up grain that is somehow "blended" (my summation, not their term) and invisible - to a point - in traditional prints. So shooting MF and LF specifically for the purpose of film scanning could make a big difference.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:22:35 -0700

...8x10s and 11x14s, black and
white, taken with the company Leicas and Hasselblads....I could not tell which prints came from a
35mm negative and which from the 60mm negative.  I suspect the prints
were small enough not to show differences in grain to the unaided
eye. There did not seem to be differences in resolution in the prints
to my untrained eye.

On the other hand I have seen 60mm slides projected large, whose
color and contrast seem to blow 35 mm out of the water. Is medium
format really better? How about the 45x60mm?...