[OM] Re: MF starter gear

Subject: [OM] Re: MF starter gear
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 01:50:28 +0000

>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:23:33 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] semi-OT beginner's MF camera
>
>Anyone here used a Seagull? Would it be a way to dip my big toe in
>the MF pond, or is the glass to pedestrian to really get the benefits
>of the larger format? Is there another option I should consider,
>given that I'm clueless about MF gear

My advice is to stay away. I'd recommend an old Mamiya TLR, like the 330 or
220. They have interchangeable lenses and are built like small military gear.
I used to own a 220F, which I bought new and sold last year for not enough
money.....Another, cheaper option is a Yashica 124 or earlier TLR. These are
Rollieflex copies and pretty good. Minolta also made some TLR's that are
probably pretty good. Don't worry about having a TTL meter, none of these
will have one. The main benefit will be the invisible grain in blowups. These
all have leaf shutters, so they sync at all speeds, and also have a flashbulb
setting if that's important to you. Before you buy, test the slow shutter
speeds. It should make a nice even whining sound. The aperture and shutter
speed dials should turn easily also.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright