Re: [OM] OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:12:12 -0700
In a message dated 10/23/00 "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< They're really trying harder and harder to kill it, aren't they.
There is
no way to justify the prices they want for equipment like this. These
have
to be incredibly cheap to manufacture, without any sophisticated
electronics
and with tooling that has long been paid for. >>

I'm not so sure on this. Agreed that the development tooling has long
since been paid for but Olympus has always used some pretty exotic
materials and since the designs have not evolved I would imagine there
is much more highly trained hand assembly required than for today's
modern "wunderbricks" (some of which cost more than an OM3Ti and could
actually have lower material costs, combined with semi-automated
assembly and testing). Perhaps John Hermanson could shed some light on
this theory since I honestly haven't a clue what it takes to put a
camera together. Combine this with low sales volumes and I can see how a
price increase may be logical to Olympus. I sure wish they would get
aggressive in professional film equipment but as we have hashed out
before, not likely to happen. Tom is correct that price increases will
likely help accelerate the end of new OMs, which sucks.

While no bargain, the new OM4Ti and OM3Ti bodies are certainly not the
most expensive 35mm bodies out there today. Yet, if one does not require
whiz-bang wunderbrickisms, the OMs still rank among the best out there
IMO. Having played with a friend's Pentax PZ-1P some I will say that
certain mainstream camera makers in the wunderbrick market are gouging
much worse than Olympus. There doesn't seem to be much it can't do as
well as certain wunderbricks that cost 3-4 times as much. Pentax appears
staged for an aggressive comeback...I can only hope Olympus follows in
queue.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

PS: Now up to 70 images on my site from the Laguna Seca ALMS
weekend...still much scanning yet to be done. Quite a few from the
350/2.8 there now though for those who are curious.