[OM] Re: macro bokeh.....

Subject: [OM] Re: macro bokeh.....
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:10:38 -0700

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:09:15 +0000
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Soryy about that.  The correct URl is of course -

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1143478&a=9290765

There are three pics of water droplets on a car windscreen. One was
taken with a 90/2 macro and the other with a 80/4 macro.

I didn't think that bokeh was important in lenses designed for macro use. I
thought it was more important in more normal portrait lenses like the 85/2,
etc.???

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright

My feeble understanding of 'bokeh' is that it has to do with how the out of focus areas of a picture are handled by the lens and its esthetic result. I have not read any where that specular highlights are included in the concept. I think there is no question that round specular highlights are more pleasing than hexagonal ones or the little donuts created by a mirror lens. It seems to me that the concept deals with what the lens does to the out of focus objects in the background. If that is the case, there seems to be only a subtle difference between the 'bokeh' of these two shots.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California