Re: [OM] OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:36:38 +0000
Quite the reverse I think.  Highly integrated electronics in large volumes
are relatively cheap to manufacture.  Take a look at digital watches, CD
players, .

Precision mechanical equipment has become more costly to manufacture and
assemble - Piaget, Omega, Rolex, leica, Rollieflex, Hasselblad...

Show me a small,  complex, mostly metal, high precision mechanical
device that is cheap?

The OM4-Ti and 3-Ti are manufactued and assembled in Japan (or were -
stockpiles). Skilled labour is no longer cheap in Japan.

 I wonder if John H could give us an estimate of how long it would take
him to assemble a 4Ti from scratch from just  parts in bins?  I seem to
recall something like 1/2 a day just to install a new circuit.

How much was a new Leica M6 again?

Giles