Re: [OM] OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:42:35 +0000
At 23:51 10/23/00 , Tom Scales wrote:
>They're really trying harder and harder to kill it, aren't they.  There is
>no way to justify the prices they want for equipment like this. These have
>to be incredibly cheap to manufacture, without any sophisticated electronics
>and with tooling that has long been paid for.
>
>Tom

Ummmm, I work manufacturing in my current "life."  My somewhat educated
guess is it's the setup and teardown for very short production runs, and
maintaining the tooling when it's not being used.  Very expensive.  On a
manufacturing floor there are all sorts of hazards for tooling if it's only
in use occasionally for short runs, starting with scavanging to keep high
volume continuous lines running!  It takes real discipline on the floor to
keep this (and a few other hazards) from happening.

-- John