Re: [OM] [OT] Translating German

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Translating German
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 02:52:25 GMT
When translating German just remember that the language uses approximately 10 times the number of letters as the English equivalent. Also the German language tends to combine a paragraph of thought into a single word. Every German word - however long and complex - contains at least a single recognizable fragment that corresponds to English.

By selectively trimming away the excess letters that don't really mean anything, the incomprehensible word "bedienungsanleitung" becomes the smaller, more easily pronounced "bed-tung". Thanks to the infallible logic of the German language this can be pronounced phonetically, revealing that the actual item is a "bed" or "resting place" for a "tongue". Obviously this describes the small plastic retainer that keeps the tongue of the iS-3000 strap from waving around and irritating your skin.

If the actual item for sale were an iS-3000, the word would be approximately 4,750 letters in length, describing every major feature of the camera and would include within the single word such recognizable phonetically pronouncable phrases as "lenzenkappen", "schutzenbutten" and "automotofilmendriven".

Bid appropriately.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:48:03 -0600

...translate THIS for
me, taken from e-Bay Item #470419110 for an Anleitung IS3000,
whatever THAT is:

Bedienungsanleitung Olympus IS3000

Now, tell me, am I bidding on the camera, a lens, the manual, or a lens
cap?????  <G>