Re: [OM] [OT] Status of the helicopter pilot

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Status of the helicopter pilot
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:18:09 -0400
Glad to hear he is re cooperating. I can't believe it has been that long already. Maybe he needs to sue for specific performance, and make the power co. put up the warning equipment.

Gregg

Chuck wrote:
Several people have asked me recently how my son's recovery is coming
along after his run-in with high voltage power lines in Sept. '99 (yes,
it's been over a year now).  The prognosis is cautiously optimistic.  He
is still suffering from vertigo and still not allowed to fly.  His
treatment for inner ear problems and loss of binocular vision has come
to an end but he has made sufficient progress that the residual vertigo
may be treatable by habituation... ie; the brain may be trainable to
ignore it.  Just in the past couple weeks he had a spontaneous lessening
of the vertigo intensity (but not frequency).

He will have an MRI soon as there is some indication of minor brain
swelling around the optic nerve of one eye and the Army (since he is
Army National Guard as well as NY state police) has arranged for him to
be examined by a naval flight surgeon in Pensacola, FL who is expert in
these matters.

He has made truly dramatic progress in the past year and the hope is
that the remaining vertigo problem will soon be gone (or ignorable) and
he'll get back into the air.

The following link will take you to an editorial in the Buffalo News
(where he lives).  The editorial discusses a recently settled lawsuit by
the family of another Buffalo area helicopter pilot who also had a
run-in with power lines in 1993 but did not survive.  My son Scott's
case is briefly mentioned about half way down the article.  Same power
company who refuses to mark the lines.  He never once considered suing
the power company but their steadfast refusal to mark the lines after
two awful accidents has infuriated him.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20001023/1044877.asp