[OM] Re: om gear life expectancy.....

Subject: [OM] Re: om gear life expectancy.....
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:43:47 +0000

>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:41:43 -0700
>From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy - sigh
>

>Add to that list mid-80s cars (almost all of which had some kind of
>solid state control systems involved),

Mike, those electronics under the hood of your high zoot Audi's are built to
a much higher spec than camera or consumer electronics, but I'm sure you knew
that, right?

>mid-fi audio gear (LCD displays
>were just starting to become popular), and many other things that have
>obviously not died yet.

Well, since audio gear spends most of its life at nice, comfy temps and
humidity, you'd expect them to last some time yet. But, cameras are subject
to all kinds of abuse, including but not limited to: shock and vibration, hi
and low humidity, hi and low temps, etc. This is why I like the "lessor"
OM's, the 1's and 2's, but mostly the 1's. I can live without fancy spot
metering, though of course I'd love to have it. I don't think the Cosina
connection is a good path either. I just pray that John H. has a good
stockpile of parts for my cameras....I should start collecting parts cameras
I suppose, assuming I could get good deals on them.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright