RE: [OM] OM1 SHUTTER SOUND

Subject: RE: [OM] OM1 SHUTTER SOUND
From: Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:42:02 +0200
:Jim Teo wrote:
:OM-1 has been very well known for very silent shutter but I've came
:across an OM-1 with a noisier shutter. Is this normal for some to have
:a noisier shutter? If not, what causes the noisy shutter and how to
:dampen it?
:I would guess it's not the shutter per se but more likely the mirror
:that's making all the racket. Maybe something isn't working as it
:should in the mirror damping mechanics?

The mirror dampening foam (located sideways of the focusing screen) might
need replacement. If you can get the very thin foam (for instance from
http://www.micro-tools.com/restore.htm) it might be a DIY job, provided your
hands are stable enough. Well-known cures to stop a Zuik's hand from
trembling are acquiring the occasional 100/2, 16/3.5, 50/1.2, 180/2, ...

hnz