[OM] First Impression

Subject: [OM] First Impression
From: "k.matsumoto" <GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:31:58 +0900
Hi everybody,

I'm just back home from a camera store. I had some fun with the new
Camedia E-10.  Wheeee!

Sure, this must be a really cool camera.  The autofocus was very
fast and quiet, almost no shutter lag time. A little heavy, but well
balanced.

But please, please understand that I'm rather closer to the last one
to buy a digital SLR. I think many people would still be
disappointed with it in many aspects if this was his or her first
digicam.

The most bothering thing was the "waiting" times. The boot-up time
is not very long but still not short enough, and you have to wait
quite a long time for the image to be saved. You can shoot a couple
of frames in a row but the interval suddenly expands up to a few
seconds.  You can't open the menu on screen immediately after you
shoot even a single frame. I didn't test the lower resolution modes,
though.

The synthetic shutter sound is ... forget it. Maybe you don't need
it at all because the viewfinder will black out during the exposure.
 It has a focus ring but it's power focus and maybe only slow
shooters would like to use it.  What I need is an aperture ring ...

Sorry if my report was unpleasant. I would rather wait for the
E-4Ti. But if you're already used to digicams and wunderbricks, I
think you will consider this is the best one ever existed.

Sample pictures were displayed too but the same ones you can see at
their site.  At least I can say the new Camedia die-sub printer is
also excellent!

The price was 178,000 yen (1633 US$) but the lowest price reported
on web is 149,800 yen (1374 US$).

kazuya matsumoto