Re: [OM][FS] 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies

Subject: Re: [OM][FS] 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:56:31 -0500
Cc: <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tell them it's all worthless trash and offer to dispose of them as a
convenience.

Seriously, I would probably give them rough estimates of the 'dealer price'
and the 'retail price'.  If I was interested in some of the items, I would
tell them the truth, that you can't, or won't, pay the retail price, but
would be interested and willing to pay the 'average' of the two.

That's actually always been my approach when making larger purchases.  Don't
low-ball them, be up-front, tell them exactly what their equipment is worth
if they part if out and sell it themselves.  Then tell them that you'll buy
it all at a fair reduced price. They do better then selling to someone like
KEH, but not as good as they possibly could with all the effort of selling
individual items.

I'm not getting rich on any of this, just enjoying the trading and my
occasional 'find'.

I try to take a 'counselor' approach, even with strangers.  They appreciate
the honesty and I can often make a deal that is fair to us both.  If not,
then I strongly encourage them to 'go for it' and often get into prolonged
email exchanges teaching them how to sell on ebay, based on my experiences.

I try to handle my purchases and trading ethically and fairly.  The golden
rule is such a powerful guide.

Tom

From: "Andrew Fildes" <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<snip>
 I now face a serious ethical dilemma. The uncle of a friend died recently.
> He had collected about 50 cameras, I'm told - I have been asked to come
> over and assess them for the family as they know I have some knowledge.
How