[OM] airport security

Subject: [OM] airport security
From: Loren Russell <loren@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
After three weeks on the road, I am full of "air-rage".  Not at the
delays, lousy food, worn-out planes, bratty kids, and next-seat neighbors
overflowing into my space.

Rather, the progressively more police-state presumptions at security
gates, and the poorly trained, surly employees there.  [What do you
expect?  Where else can a half-trained near-minimum wage employee hassle
the better-off in society, and get away with it?]

The last gate passed, in Cincinnati, finally got me.  I had my camera gear
and slide film along, but hardly cared about the inevitable fogging -- not
a lot really to show for this trip, despite fall color in the northeast.
So I'd given up trying to assert my rights, and just put everything
through the fogger... But the metal-gate beeped.  I'd stripped watch,
glasses, keys, but had one (!) roll of slide film in my pocket I'd
forgotten about.

The "lady" at the gate said, "pyut it through the belt, the film won't be
hurt.  But the GATE ruins it.  I'm sorry, but isn't the gate-to-heaven
metal detector an induction coil?  How does THAT hurt film?  And doesn't
ALL ionizing radiation fog film?  Anyone want to instruct me on the new
physics?

And by the way, are there any others who'd ask for a little less security
and a little more maintenance in US airways?

loren russell, corvallis, oregon