Re: [OM] OT? Film vs. Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OT? Film vs. Digital
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:03:44 -0700
I need to preface my comments with the fact that I have very little
experience with digital imaging, having only used my duaghters OLYMPUS
Camedia for some eBay pics. I am by no means any kind of expert here.

That being said my main comment is that this is not really a film vs
digital comparison. it is digital via two different methods. The results,
to me, are not all that suprising. It seems to me that if you are looking
to do digital output, then starting with digital is probably going to give
better results. I would think that you are bound to loose something when
scanning film to digital. Of more interest to me would be a comparison of
film printed conventionally vs digital.

As for his comments on the 'trueness' of colors I think that is more a
fault of the specific film than the basic process. As someone who was not
real involved with photography for a few years I find the new film stocks
are  frankly disappointing.  I don't know about others, but I find the
'saturated' colors to be real false looking very over warm, and not at all
in line with reality. Other films seem to over compensate to the cool side
It seems like a 'neutral' color balanced film is hard to find.

I also find all of the different films very confusing. I am sure after
enough experimentation I will find something I like, but I ain't there yet!
In particular, none of the slide films I have tried have been all that
satisfying. and the print film choices are just plain overwhelming!

Well enough of my rambling diatribe for now!

Jim Couch