Re: [OM] [OT] Missed photo opportunity

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Missed photo opportunity
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
Bruce Appelbaum wrote:
Probably a good thing you didn't have your camera.  It might have been
"confiscated."  I've been in Indonesia and other less stable countries
in the past, sometimes in the middle of "fun."  Often no internal
demonstration is complete without the obligatory beating of the
American.
That may be true, Bruce, but I'm a Limey (a term that I have never
found offensive, BTW; it merely alludes to the period when British
sailors were made to drink lime juice to avoid scurvy, which seems like
a good idea - not that I've ever tried it myself). Also, for those
stalwart Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh members of the List, my
nationality happens to be English and I'm used to the slings and arrows
associated with that. Again, I've never taken offence because I know
it's only half serious - wish I knew *which* half was serious, though!

To update you good folks on the situation here, I tried to return to
the "Hore-Hore Cafe" last night at about 9:00 pm, 'cause I still have a
bill to pay, only to find that they were shutting shop because they'd
heard on the grapevine that the Gentlemen in White were visiting their
area again ("All you have to do is answer three simple questions and
you could win a major prize!") I gathered, however, that the only
damage done Tuesday evening was the smashing of bottles of spirits from
behind the bar. Nobody was hurt (they had the sense not to resist).
I'll take your advice, Bruce - it's the silly season right now in
Indonesia and I'd *hate* to have my OMs confiscated (I'd rather be
flamed any day)!

Regards,

=====
Ray