[OM] Re: lead/acid in M15V

Subject: [OM] Re: lead/acid in M15V
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 02:39:19 +0000

>Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:50:59 -0700
>From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: lead/acid in M15V....
>
>If you can get them to fit it would be great. The problem with charging is
>not
>really the charger, which are as you pointed out inexpensive to build, but
>with
>the connector to the M15v battery pack. Lead acid cells, other than for the
>full
>discharge thing are definatly user friendly. They are also considerably less
>expensive than NiCD or NiMH

I looked around at Digikey, All Electronics and a couple of other places and
didn't find anything smaller than about a "D" size. I don't know which size
the M15V takes, so this may be a waste of time. I also dont' really know
which type is best for this application. I did find out that those 6V and 12V
lead/acid packs have a bunch of small sealed cells inside the plastic case.
There must be some reason that Quantum uses them, besides cost
considerations, since Quantum battery packs have a good reputation.

Here's a hint: if you buy a dead Quantum battery pack that you could
otherwise use, send it to Quantum for repair, and you'll have a as-new pack
for a fraction of the price of a new one. Here's the story: My wife has 3 of
the Quantum 2's, for the Sunpak 555 flash, one of which died. I sent it to
Quantum for repair. The quoted a price of about 70$. These cost at least 200$
new. They said that the cells were dead, the charger circuit needed updating,
and I needed a new case, since the new cells didn't fit the old case. Well
folks, there ain't nothing else *to* the battery pack (case + circuit panel +
 cells), so I got a brand new Quantum 2 for 70bucks! Such a deal! It's mine
now, I don't let my wife touch it...gggrrrrrr.....<g>

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright