Re: [OM] F280 flash pipe color question

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 flash pipe color question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:46:55 -0500
RB -

There's a light "gold" tint on the flash tube to help counter the
intrinsic "blue" color of glowing gasses inside.  (I remember my first
strobe, a Honeywell, had a gold-tinted lens over the front for that
reason.)  The mirrored plastic reflector behind the tube may enhance the
appearance, making it appear more pronounced - at least the two near-new
F-280's I just checked look that way.

I've noticed, though, on flash tubes that are beginning to fail (I call
'em "blue flamers" - when triggered, a blue arc passes through the tube
for several seconds - it's kinda cool...) that the tube takes on a much
darker, almost brownish tint.  Fortunately, the F-280 uses the same
flash tube as the T-32, so even if it goes bad, replacement shouldn't be
too difficult.