Re: [OM] OT? Film vs. Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OT? Film vs. Digital
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:42:20 -0500
I just wondered what anyone else thought.

Even though the guy kept saying how every thing he did should give the
advantage to film, I just didn't see it that way.

He scanned the film at a so-so resolution ( 3200 DPI ) for starters,
using the default scanner software settings. Then he ran both image
files through another piece of software, again using the default
settings. I guess if I was going for the best result in each case, I'd
have tried to optimize each image...

He also claims that the digital camera image has colors closer to "how
he remembers them". If you take a look at the brown/red building in the
lower left, it's clear the difference between digital and film. The
building in the digital shot looks to be all one color, as if painted on
the picture. The same building on the film shot has a gradient from end
to end that looks far more real given the lighting, even if "he didn't
remember it" that way.

You do bring up point about the color balance of print films that I'd
like to discuss though. I think I'll start a different thread on that
though. Looks like this one bored everyone else to tears...
:-)

--
Jim