Re: [OM] Current film color balance (was: OT? Film vs. Digital)

Subject: Re: [OM] Current film color balance (was: OT? Film vs. Digital)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:43:25 +0000
At 06:15 10/28/00 , Jim Sharp wrote:
>Looks like we have the same problem...
>
>I shot a couple of rolls of Kodak Royal Gold outside last weekend,
>simple things of my kids and my trees in the backyard etc.  Overall I
>was pleased at how things looked considering it was such a dull day, but
>some of the skin tones were terrible. The strange thing is, my daughter
>looked great, but my son and son-in-law were way too saturated and way
>too red.
>
>It's a new one on me - Shooting flash fill outside on a gray day and
>ending up too warm... Hey, the trees looked wonderful though. The ++red
>made them a very dark green.
>:-)
>

>So, I too am hoping the list has some suggestions on this. I'd love to
>find a film that doesn't blow the colors out so far, especially skin
>tones, and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Maybe one of the more
>"blueish" types and a warming filter?
>
>--
>Jim

First, make certain you aren't confounding the color balancing in making
the print with color balancing in the film.  The guys (gals) doing the
prints can make all sorts of decisions on how to set exposure and color
balance the prints.  They should have "channels" set up for different
films.  (Most do not have any set up for the pro films though.)  I've found
the one-hour labs around me to be spotty; it depends on who is operating
the machine!  One of the test runs I made using Royal Gold 400 at a local
wedding and processed by Qualex didn't have enough latitude either.  The
wedding dress was just under being blown out and dark green bridesmaid
dresses were almost black!  Not certain if it's the film, the paper or
both.  The wedding I'm doing for real in mid-November will use Portra NC
because I've used it before, know how it responds, and it will be
processed/printed at a pro lab I've used before and trust with it.

As to refrigerating pro films, I keep them reefered because they're ordered
in bulk pro packs by mail and I don't use color negative that often.  You
can store fresh rolls at room temperature for up to a couple of months
without noticeable shifting.  Expiration dates are comparable to consumer,
up to 18 months and more for reefer storage.  All room temperature does is
accelerate it.  I've had Portra in the camera body for over a month with no
problem, although I don't like doing that because of the latent images.
Refrigeration becomes important for longer storage toward the middle and
end of expiration, or (along with lot numbers) for critical applications
using many rolls such as catalog or wedding work when you need the color
response to come out *exactly* the same on all rolls used.

-- John