[OM] [OT] Current film color balance

Subject: [OM] [OT] Current film color balance
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:48:34 GMT
[Still lurking via digest archives...ahh, I just couldn't stay away from you folks!]

Okay, Jim, here's my none-too-humble opinion:

For accurate, neutral (maybe slightly cool to some tastes, compared with Sensia II) but lovely colors, Fuji Astia;

For somewhat enhanced but still accurate colors with amazing resolution and fine grain, Fuji Provia 100F (RDP III);

For the truest skin tones for all the world's people, Kodachrome. And darned good colors overall too.

Wish I could show you some of my recent pix using these films, but I don't have a film scanner.

I had been using Kodachrome 64 for my petrified wood structure project, but was disappointed with the closeups. It just didn't deliver minute, glittering details as I wanted. Provia 100F solved that problem. The details are brilliant. Yet the film satisfies my desires for accuracy and vivid color. I could just as easily have been satisfied with Astia, but I'm going to standardize on Provia.

For my money nothing beats Kodachrome for portraits and flowers. The colors are rich yet accurate. And unlike even the best print films, there's no haggling with the lab over how the prints *should* look. Just check the slides.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock