Re: [OM] E-Groups ?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-Groups ?
From: Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 02:07:02 +0900 (JST)
Hello Giles,

> How does e-groups work?

I manage one of the groups in eGroups, namely EOS-3 (the brick).

> Do you get email messages from the groups you sub*scribe to, as with
> this list, or do you have to read the newsgroup on-line?

You can have 3 settings :-

1) Mail for each posting (default)
2) Daily digest mail
3) Read from the web only

Of course if you picked (1) or (2), you could also read from the web
anytime too. But one advantage with this is that if any members go on
holiday but don't want to unsubscribe, they can change their profile to
(3) before their holiday, then upon returning, change it back to (1) or
(2).

However, eGroups host many mailing lists. In the past, you had to sign up
*twice* - one for eGroups server itself, then the other for the specific
mailing list. This used to confuse the living daylights out of members who
had never ben to eGroups before and started signing up for my EOS-3
list. Instead, they were merely signing up for the eGroups server itself
then later wondered why they had to re-sign up for the EOS-3 list again
specifically.

But now I think it's a little more intuitive.

Other little things about eGroups is :-

1) Advertising, you get a little "signature" of text advertisement. I'm
   usually not bothered by it (afterall it's a free service), but if you
   opt to pay a fee, then the advertising feature will be ommited from all
   posts.

2) You can enable "discard attachments" which has so far been rather
   useful for members who post up photos out to everyone whether they want
   it or not, and similarly strip out HTML.

3) gwsears is also right in saying that response is very fast
   too. Whatever I post normally gets back to me very quickly.

Having said all of that, I also don't see any major problems with Oly's
current setup. Yes posts are somewhat slow, but that doesn't bother me
much.

> If the latter, and we were to switch, I would no longer be a sub*scriber
> because here in Ireland we have timed local calls so to read a list
> on-line would be prohibitively expensive.

I have a different problem with eGroups...my company has black listed it
(waste of company time/resources?? I dunno!!). So I can't view the the
eGroups Web from the office network. However I still receive posts so I
still can catch up on the threads. But configuring my profile, etc. *has*
to be done through the web.

> Giles

Sean

> gwsears wrote:
>

> > I would vote for the entire group to move over to eGroups. I just
> > posted a for sale add there, took 5 seconds for to receive it.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)