Re: [OM] best OM for astronomy

Subject: Re: [OM] best OM for astronomy
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:33:39 -0700
JOHN SCHEUERER wrote:

> [1] Whats the best OM for astronomy use and are OMs the best bar none?
The OM-1 (or OM-1n) are widely accepted as the _best_ body for
astronomical photography.  The two most important factors are:
(1) purely mechanical operation because of the long exposures
requred.  (2) light weight to allow easy telescope balancing.

> [2] Whats the best film [professional or not] and film speed.
There is no _one_ best film ... there are many and a discussion
ot their characteristics could fill several pages.

> [3] Is mirror lockup better for astronomy pics [vibrationwise]  then mirror
> prefire example OM 1 vs OM 2000 vs OM3 or 4 [ti]. I get the impression from
> Garry's lense tests that prefire has less vibration,but with the obnoxious
> [[[ KA-KLACK ]]] shutter sound of the OM2000, I'm wondering about
> recomending it to him.???
For lunar photography mirror lockup or prefire is desirable, but
for deep sky work it's unimportant ... you can use the "hat trick",
cover the objective during shutter opening and closing.

> [4] What other fixtures will he need besides the camera itself and are they
> easily available?
A T-ring for whatever camera is used: US$10 to 15.  For prime focus
use he needs a T-adaptor: US$25.  For eyepiece projection he needs
a tele-extender: US$25.  All are readily available.  Sources are
    http://www.poconoscopes.com/west/index.html
    http://www.telescope.com

I strongly recommend that he obtain a copy of Michael Covington's
"Astrophotography for the Amateur":  http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc

Have fun,
 -Nick