(Fwd) Re: [OM] E-Groups or Other services??

Subject: (Fwd) Re: [OM] E-Groups or Other services??
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:36:47 +0000

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:45:30 -0400
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] E-Groups or Other services??
Cc: cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EGroups can be used in any of the following modes:

1. Sub*scribe and read it all online
2. Sub*scribe and receive digests
3. Sub*scribe and get individual mails.

I host the Olympus Pen-RF list there, and it's very painless.

Over on the StreetPhoto list and the Leica LEG, they use TopicA as the
host.  I haven't done an evaluation of the two services, but they both seem
to be very good.  It certainly beats hosting it manually.

Personally, I like the following characteristics to be handled:  I don't
know if egroups and/or topica handle these issues.

- Subscription without email, so that I can read it every few weeks without
plowing through the individual emails. - Easy subscribe/unsubscribe
options, preferably with a web-based option for that function - Automatic
archiving for easy searching - Spam and email bomb scanning by the server -
Automatic stripping of attachments if wanted - Group area to post pictures,
attachments as a public bulletin board

Any others?

Does anyone know of any other web-based services?

Skip