Re: [OM] A message about the list

Subject: Re: [OM] A message about the list
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:45:41 -0500
Cc: <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Shawn,

I did copy this privately, but wanted the list to see it too.  First, thank
you so much (you to Giles!) for all your efforts on running the list.  It is
truly appreciated.

That said, I think you're connecting unconnected events.  Nobody is unhappy
with the list, not at all, I think I can safely say we all simply love it.
After all, we are zuikoholics.

The conversation about egroups was just a random thread that started after
an observation of the speed of egroups.  Don't even remember how it started,
doesn't matter.  Others asked about egroups, more for curiosity than
anything, including, I think, Giles.  We must have a lot of people that
belong to lists on egroups, because everyone answered the question. The
volume probably implied a suggestion for a switch.  Shouldn't have.  I
suspect most people were thinking it might actually be easier for you, since
they worry about the infrastructure.  But, if you're happy, we're happy,
case closed.

The unrelated event, and it is truly unrelated, was the start of the
om-trader group.  That started as a reaction to several of us, including me,
wanting to be active participants in the discussion here, but no longer
wanting to post FS ads.  Again, no reflection on you or the list, but a
reaction to some fairly abusive responses to such posts.  I don't honestly
think anyone meant to hurt anyone else, but there were a couple fairly vocal
people that, interestingly, don't actually post much OM content---and, no,
my point is not to single out individuals, so no flaming replies please.
So, the om-trader list seemed like a good compromise.  Most people will
still post FS here, including me occasionally, but we'll also post there.  I
don't see that as fracturing the list, just supplementing it a bit.  Will we
all calm down and just post here?  Perhaps, but I certainly don't want to be
perceived negatively or as a, gasp, dealer -- which seems to be an
unforgiveable sin.  In my case, I've made a decision to really thin my
collection, pretty dramatically, and I do think that would have been a bit
much for the list.  It's a one-time event, but I could see how some might
not like it.  The humor (humour?) of it all is that I posted a fairly
lengthy list of nice OM equipment to the trader list and got a total of,
count'em, three replies...two for the same item. Either I'm naive on the
pricing, or there just isn't that much 'purchase interest'...or maybe both.
Guess it is just because everybody hates me <pout>---<g>.

So, no worries.  Everything is as it should be. Spirited dialog on mostly OM
topics with an occasional bar brawl.  But we get over it.

Thanks again....

Tom