Re: [OM] Airport security - UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport security - UK
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:15:44 EDT
cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I think, given a fixed power level for the XRay, there would be a very
 slight degree of extra protection offered by an all metal body.

 Giles >>

Provided that they don't crank up the power to look carefully inside!

I guess if you really got paranoid you could respool your film into
reloadable plastic cassettes and then distribute it in your pockets so they
would not be too visible and so that the magnetic detectors would not alarm
when you went through.

       I once was handcarrying bulk film in a metal Kodak tin and since I
refused the X-ray the gaurd asked me if she could just take a quick peek
inside ! After a lot of arguing they eventually let me through. Heathrow
seems a bit worse than most airports  in terms of accomodating film carriers.
       About 18years ago I flew from Peru to USA to Europe to Southern Africa
**handcarrying** an ice-axe,northwall hammer,crampons and a small backpack
weighing about 50lbs full of metal climbing gear. The ice-axes etc went
through about 10 x-ray machines  enroute and the only place anything was
confiscated to go into the hold was as we entered the cabin on a BA flight
accross the Atlantic, where an attendent got a fright seeing the axes. The
gear had already gone through the x-ray machines with no comment! The
sensitivity to this sort of thing has obviously gone up but varies widely
around the world esp in third world countries.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes