Re: [OM] Lighting challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] Lighting challenge
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:24:41 -0400
A possible solution is to use meter on the foreground and select an aperture (try for f5.6 or f8) that will render the flood underexposed with the time on about 1/2 second. Put your flash on auto (not TTF) and select the aperture that you picked. With the flash off camera near the subject(preferred but not necessary), use a locking cable release to fire the camera. The flash should give the right amount of light on the musician, and the time exposure of about 1/2 second should get the fireworks.

The extra quartz light might give the moving parts of the musician some blurring as well. I'm not explaining the effect well. If you aren't sure of what I mean check out this photo http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=80379&a=586167&p=15763918 that was taken under floodlights with flash and a slow shutter speed (OM-1 MD).

Gregg

Jay wrote:
I've been handed an interesting photographic challenge, and would like some
help from the folks here...

I'd like to take pictures of a guy playing music in the foreground, with
fireworks going off behind him. It'll be after dark, and he'll be lit by
about a 250W quartz-halogen flood. According to my OM-4's spot meter,
there's enough light there for an exposure of about 1/2 second at f/4 on ASA
400 film. He's moving too quickly for that to work, however, without a lot
of blur. There's also the problem that, if the normal technique of shooting
fireworks by using a several-second exposure time is used, he'd wind up
being overexposed as well as blurry.

I was thinking that the way to solve both problems is to use a flash to
expose the player, with slow film and the lens stopped down...but I can't
quite figure out how to balance it out. Suggestions?