Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered

Subject: Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:09:53 GMT
I don't notice any difference between a UV/haze filter and skylight with anything but slide film. Even then it's a very slight difference - UV/haze is neutral, while the skylight filter can add a barely discernable touch of warmth.

My lenses always wear some kind of protective filter when outdoors in wind or questionable weather. Otherwise, the filters come off in good weather and indoors. One of my 55mm threaded filters appears to be plain optical glass - no UV/haze, skylight, coating, no nothing. Doesn't add any glare (with a hood) or detract from resolution, AFAI can tell. Wish I knew the brand - it has a very heavy duty, well made metal ring that's flared for use on wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting.

I tend to use a greater variety of filters and more frequently with b&w film (including C41 process monochrome): yellow for contrast correction (to my eye it doesn't add contrast, but renders contrast as I remembered it); green for skin tones (you gotta try one to love the effect); very occasionally, orange for dramatic contrast.

With color film I like a Cokin blue graduated density filter to pep up colorless skies; a couple of Cokin's crazy colored polarizers for dawn and sunset shots over the lake; a Cokin star filter that I tend to use more as a softening filter than for the star effect - very subtle.

I don't even use polarizers that often. Especially with wide angles, which tend to enhance a sky's natural blue. I prefer to walk around and try to take advantage of the natural blueness, which varies tremendously even on the clearest, sunniest day, relative to the angle of the sun. As Herbert Keppler points out in a recent Pop Photo article, polarizers are often overused and sap the highlights from many photos.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: Eric Goodell <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:12:49 -0500

...what filters (besides polarizer) do you use
more than once a year, and under what circumstances?