Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered

Subject: Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:56:58 +1100
>My lenses always wear some kind of protective filter when outdoors in wind
>or questionable weather.  Otherwise, the filters come off in good weather
>and indoors.  One of my 55mm threaded filters appears to be plain optical
>glass - no UV/haze, skylight, coating, no nothing.  Doesn't add any glare
>(with a hood) or detract from resolution, AFAI can tell.  Wish I knew the
>brand - it has a very heavy duty, well made metal ring that's flared for use
>on wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting.
snip
>Lex Jenkins

Sounds like a B+W - they have the heavier brass construction and I've seen
some without the identification on the inner retaining ring where it's
usually engraved (just so you can't read it if you stack them!)
The only absolute zero filter I've seen is a Contax 'P' (for protection) in
46mm used with a G1 and G2. It's coated. I think they have them in various
sizes for the SLR lenses. My B+W catalogue certainly doesn't list one
although they'd probably make the Contax filters - Schott glass and all
that. Seems a shame that an MC protection filter isn't available in various
sizes from third party manufacturers. I suppose they can't be bothered
given the tiny effect of 1A and UV filters.

Questions related -

1) How good are Oly filters compared to B+W or mid-quality brands like
Hoya? (OM content but I mean it - are they worth chasing?)

2) Picked up a tiny N*kon 39mm filter lately for use with a Leica but does
anyone know what the hell A2 is - I'm guessing at 'stronger than 1A' but,
L37c isn't exactly obvious for a UV! (would love a UV in this profile if
anyone sees/has one).
Andrew