[OM] More about the Astrofocuser, please!

Subject: [OM] More about the Astrofocuser, please!
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:10:56 -0800
Dick Locke casually mentioned that . . .

>there is a
>device called "B&K astrofocuser" made for the camera.  I used one last
>night with my
>OM1n for the 1st time; I think I'm going to like it!

Whoa, slow down, Dick! Tell me more. I've squinted my way toward many
"almost focused" astro images and have tried all kinds of things to
achieve perfect focus. My latest attempt was to create lens caps (not
Olympus!) with two large holes in them, which gives the effect of "double
vision" until the star is in focus--the image gets darker with this setup
however. Also, I've monkeyed around with the VariMagni (which just makes
the image VeriDim) and sundry focusing screens. Usually I just end up
noodling around with the focusing ring, skooching it back and forth
between that final millimeter, trying to intuit the perfect focus. So
your astrofocuser has me interested - please explain it a bit more. BTW,
you've got some great images at
http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/astrophoto/astro-index.htm, my hat's
off -- er, my hat's in front of the lens . . . whatever! They're great.