Re: [OM] generic OM winders....

Subject: Re: [OM] generic OM winders....
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <brucea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:05:09 -0500
Cc: <lclark@xxxxxxxxxx>
I worked in NYC a decade ago and was a walk-in customer at many of the still
existing and now defunct camera stores, including 47th St Photo.  Not the
easiest thing to be in their infinitesimally small original walk-up store on
47th St.  In the 1970s and 1980s, you were fair game at just about any NYC
camera store if you didn't have your wits about you (except perhaps
Willoughby-Peerless, where the prices were much higher).

However, I spent about $10K at 47th St Photo over a few years (not all for
me, I was also buying photo and electronic equipment for overseas consulting
projects), and never had a problem with them.  The NYC Dept of Consumer
Affairs is largely responsible for cleaning up the acts of many photo
retailers.

They still have some work to do on the camera/electronics stores around NYC
that are have perennial "going out of business" sales.

P.S. I still visit B&H in person from time to time when I need some arcane
photo gear (like a 2-13 screen).

end

Regards

Bruce Appelbaum