Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered

Subject: Re: [OM] filtered or unfiltered
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:58:56 -0800
I leave a 1A or Haze filter on the lenses to protect them when I am
shooting
'action' stuff outdoors or inside in a crowded area. For example sports,
climbing, banquets, and the like. To me the (minor) loss in quality is
worth
the added lens protection. If I am shooting in more controlled
situations or
with a tripod I will use filters only if I see a need for them.

Filters I use on a regular basis:
I regularly  use a polarizer or a skylight filter at altitude. Also
often use
a polarizer if it is raining to reduce reflections/glare.
I also use an 81a to warm up  photos on when shooting overcast days or
in the
shade. (Particularly useful when shooting close-ups of flowers in the
shade.)
I use FL-D filters to correct for fluorescent lighting when shooting
available
light indoors.

Filters I use occasionally:

80a to correct for tungsten lights when shooting daylight film. This is
useful
for shooting trade show exhibits, which often use tungsten lights and
look very
warm if not corrected.
Neutral Density filters. If I want to shoot at a slower speed or wider
aperture than the current film permits. I don't use these often, but
usually
have at least one in the bag at all times, when you need one, nothing
else
works!

Filters I have but rarely use:
Cross screen, diffusers, 85a

I am currently playing with two new (for me) tiffen filters. the 812
(warming
for portraits) and the enhancer which "makes reds, rust browns, and
oranges
'pop' with minimal effect on other colors". I have been playing with
this while
shooting fall foliage, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.