Re: [OM] OM 2 question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2 question
From: "skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:11:30 -0500
I can't think of any other reason other than Olympus decided that the majority
of photographs were better served by the 2nd, less-center-weighted metering
pattern.  It also may have produced a better match between the OTF metering
(via the shutter curtain pattern), and the in-finder metering.

As for quality, the change in metering pattern only affects the exposure, which
of course is dependent on your choice of subject.  Short of matrix and advanced
metering patterns, you will probably have to use your smarts to get the best
pictures based on the metering pattern of your camera.

As a non-OM example, I sometimes use Leica M6 bodies, which have a sharp-cutoff
metering methodology.  The metering spot encompases a circle that is about 2/3
of the vertical frame height.  You have to keep that in mind when you are
metering.  If you point your camera up a bit to put the horizon on the lower
3rd of the frame, then you will be metering a lot of sky, which may underexpose
the non-sky foreground.  You just have to understand how the tool works.

The metering patterns all work, just a bit differently. My advice?  Get a good
body (one that preferable has been CLA'd) and run a test roll with transparancy
film.  That way you'll see your mistakes and understand how the meter works.
Otherwise, you'll always be second-guessing the meter readings and wonder:
"Should I have bought the body with the other metering pattern?  Is that one
better?"

Skip