[OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?

Subject: [OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?
From: "Tony Winkless" <xbw58@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:20:14 -0000
I have been dithering for some months over whether to invest in a negative
scanner. At present I use Reala, processed very well  by a high-street  lab
(who are awake and attentive) to 9x6. I then flat-bed scan on an Epson
GT7000, trim and tweak a bit, then print to around 10x8/10x12 via a 1270.
Does anyone have any experience of the differences in quality of output I
might expect from a negative scanner? If so any suggestions on which
scanners to consider.  I also have an interest in B&W, but do hear that the
only way to do this justice is via a wet darkroom (flat bed scanning of B&W
is nowhere as a good as colour print output in my experiences). Would be
grateful for your thoughts/experiences etc

Tony