Re: [OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning - prints or negatives?
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <brucea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:36:28 -0500
I'm just getting into digital darkroom work.  My setup is a Minolta Scan
Dual II film scanner (will scan b+w and color negs and slides) with output
to an HP 952C inkjet printer.  All this is centered around a PC running
Photoshop 5LE (which was packaged with the scanner).

My understanding is that you can get much better results with high
resolution neg/slide scans than with print scans.  I also have a low res
flatbed scanner, so I can't really compare results.  I can say that I'm very
pleased with the resuls I've gotten so far.  Especially being able to tweak
the pre-scan image before importing into Photoshop.

Re b+w scanning -- the Minolta scanner software discriminates among types of
input (slides, negs, color, b+w) and I assume it operates differently for
each input source.  In any event, I did scan some b+w negs and got good
results.

Results obtained may be a function of the cost of the equipment.  Higher
resolution film scanners are available (mine cost about $450 and has a
resolution of 2820 dpi) and higher resolution printers are available (mine
cost about $250 and in photo mode can print up to 2400 dpi).  I won't be
enlarging beyond 8x10 (and probably staying around 5x7.

An interesting site I ran across today is www.scantips.com -- you might want
to take a look.

Good luck

end