Re: [OM] 65-200mm or 200mm and Extension Tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] 65-200mm or 200mm and Extension Tubes
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:38:35 +0100
On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 05:55:00PM -0500, Franklin A. Berryman wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience using either a 65-200mm or 200mm lens and either
> the fixed extension tubes or the 65-116 variable extension tube for close-ups.
> Can someone tell me what the magnification range would be with these various
> options?

I have good experiences with the 200mm lens with extension tubes.
But I wouldn`t advice to use zoom lenses with extension tubes.
Zooms use difficult compensation to keep the focusing distance
when zooming. But with extension tubes you interact with this compensation.
My experience ( with another Zoom) is that it works with extension tubes in
some positions but  both zooming and /or focusing destroy the image rendering.
I found this impractical for work. But different lenses may behave different.

Frieder Faig