[OM] Point & shoot

Subject: [OM] Point & shoot
From: "Ed Brillhart" <gebrill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:29:20 -0600
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:52:18 +0000
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Advice Needed Re: Olympus Point'N'Shoot

At 15:19 10/27/00 , clintonr wrote:

>Ah, what I wouldn't give for a _real_ metal camera, like a 35RC, with
>the technology of today!  Can you imagine!

Hmmmm, maybe that's why I don't have a camera with the "technology of
today"!
I like the feel of leather covered brass, glass and steel.

If money is no object:
Rollei QZ 35T or 35W
Contax T2 Titanium
Contax G1
Contax G2
Leica Minilux Zoom
Konica Hexar R.F. (I think the body is metal on this one)

- -- John

John, I second what you have already said and will put the Leica
Minilux/Minilux Zoom on a pedestal with many SLR's.
I love the Olympus OM single digit cameras but I am a realist and realize we
are all in love with a dated system. The primary reason for admiring a
particular type/brand of camera is for the pictures they produce.
The OM system will produce excellent pictures, but let's face it; human
error plays a big part in the final results. It's rare for a person to have
24 perfectly focused and exposed shots from a roll of 24.
Call them point & shoots, call them rangefinders or call them anything else
you'd like, the Leica and Contax point & shoot/rangefinder type cameras
produce excellent pictures. Granted, if you use their manual functions there
is still a lot of room for that human error factor but if you use them on
"auto" you will definitely get 24, perfectly focused and perfectly exposed
prints/slides.
Naturally I know that many people would consider those of us who use the
"auto" setting, rank amateurs, I am only interested in a quality product and
the easier it is to achieve the better I like it.
I don't know much about the Rollei the Hexar or the T2 but the G1, G2 and
Minilux are three of the best money can buy.
That's my 2 cents worth. Now I'll be quiet and let the bashing begin.