Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:36:31 EST
In a message dated 10/30/00 5:30:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gaasland@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I'm sure this has been covered sometime in the past, but I'm looking for
>  something lighter than my OM2n to go into the mountains with, weight is a
>  factor. Was wondering what light camera would be good? Perhaps an Olympus
>  RC? Thanks! John Gaasland, Olympia, WA
>  ______________________________________

For a P&S camera, what about the Oly XA, good optics, rangefinder focusing,
and tiny. A more modern alternative would be the Stylus which has an f 2.8
lens.

For SLRs, what about the OM2000, which I think is the lightest OM body. This
has spotmetering, and mechanical operation.  I would take it with the 21/3.5,
28/3.5 and 35-70/3.5-4.5 zoom. I always wanted one of those
Phoenix/Cosina/Vivitar 19-35 zooms, which weighs only about 8 ounces of
plastic.

If this sound like too much to carry, I pack (for day hiking a P645 and 6
lens + tripod) which weighs 27 lbs but I don't stay overnight--just day hikes.

Warren