[OM] The place of digital photography ?

Subject: [OM] The place of digital photography ?
From: wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:10:18 +1100
Dear Zs,

Just pulled this quote off the Ilford site:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/calendar.html

"Photography is just 160 years old. I'm 50 and my eldest camera is 25.
Inevitably, being an Irishman, my first photograph was of a potato and my last,
at the time of writing, a stone. So much for a quarter of a century of creative
angst. Except for one thing - I've discovered the difference between real
photography and the mutant variety called 'Imaging'. The former is now called
'Traditional Photography' - not because it's performed by whiskery old smudgers
in hypo-splattered aprons - but because it's the real thing, the instantaneous
capture of the confluence of light, energy and form in a camera. Poised on the
threshold of the 21st Century, the art of real photography stands proud. Just
as photographers once took over the role of commercial illustrators, now
digital imagers can take on the drudgery and artifice of commercial
photography, letting real photographers return to pure, original,
brewed-in-the-camera photography. I would like to thank ILFORD and all
like-minded co!
!
mpanies and individuals who can still recognise the real thing and know its
true value. Bob Carlos Clarke and ILFORD would like to acknowledge the kind
support of OLYMPUS Cameras. "

...Wayne