Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:50:18 -0600
I used to carry an XA-2 skiing - fit inside the parka, work it with
mittened hands, etc.  (That was before the XA-3 - same camera, but with
DX, so easier to use.)  An XA would be fine if gloves weren't an issue.
But all these models are getting old, and the plastic is getting brittle
- maybe not the best thing to use in rough neighborhoods....

The Stylus would be another good shooter - relatively cheap,
auto-everything, etc.  The only fault (compared to later models), it
isn't "weatherproof".  I bet that would be nice, though I haven't been
there to try that.

You might also look into the Stylus Zoom - compact, auto-everything,
short zoom, _and_ weatherproof.  Or (I hate to suggest it), the Stylus
Epic  - fixed lens, small like the original Stylus, but weatherproof.
But realize, if you drop it, it's probably toast - they're not the
hardiest of souls....