[OM] For Sales and Apologies

Subject: [OM] For Sales and Apologies
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:51:08 -0800 (PST)
Cc: tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been in major lurk mode for the past few weeks
and have been amazed at the huge increase in the
number of digests being sent out each day.  This is
exciting as the list has grown from a few (around 100)
participants when I first joined to who knows how many
hundreds now.  Many have come and gone, but the
flavour of the list has remained generally the same
(Tom's bar analogy).  We've gone through political
debates, SUV arguments, film wars and EBay debates.
But not until recently has there been such blatent
attacks on people's character.

I realized that one of my posts last month (just prior
to my vacation) could have contributed to the current
tone on the list.  My apologies to Tom Scales for what
could have been taken as a personal assault.  My
statements were strictly tounge-in-cheek and meant to
be absurd.  Comparing Tom to the "Hunt Brothers" was
supposed to be an obvious joke.  So was my comment
about his 'Vet (great car).  I am sorry, Tom.

I feel that the assults on Tom, Gary and others
regarding for-sale items has been completely
out-of-line.  What right do they have to sell items
for more than what the paid for them?  Every right.
This is called market value.  Just because I happen
onto a good deal doesn't mean that I'm obligated to
pass it on to everybody else.  This doesn't
necessarily mean that they are dealers.  I even have a
hard time thinking of PVT as a dealer.  B&H is a
dealer!  I sell photographs--does that make me a
publisher?

I wish that I was in the market for OM equipment right
now--I'd take half of Tom's collection off his hands
at whatever he'd charge.

OM equipment isn't easy to find.  This list is our
tool to let each other know when and where something
is available--even if it's in our own collection.

Reunite Gondwana
Ken Norton