Re: [OM] "Me in a Tornado GR1" - going OT

Subject: Re: [OM] "Me in a Tornado GR1" - going OT
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 06:49:35 +0100
You would think so Acer (j/k noted btw), but the Royal Navy allow their pilots to grow beards. In fact, the seal is does not have to be total since above 10,000 feet there is a 2 mm Hg overpressure produced by the O2 regulator to prevent the pilot from using external, low O2 pressure airmix.

If it gets really serious - cabin altitude goes above 18,000 feet, where the partial pressure of O2 is so low you can suffer from decompression sickness etc... - you can get up to 30mm Hg overpressure, such that you are pressure breathing. Because you are supposed to clamp the mask if you decompress the cabin, a beard will probably make little difference.

OM Content:

My next job looks like (fingers crossed) being an instructor one in small piston aircraft (Grob). This means that the student will be able to fly while I take photos with a handy OM1N and zoom... can't wait.

 Chris

Chris, why do you suppose so many of us on the list grew beards?

that way not only can no one recognize you but you can't even FLY
away since facial hair would breach the tight mask seal for O2 flow ;)

j/k ;)

/Acer V
--
<|_:-)_|>