Re: [OM] The place of digital photography ?

Subject: Re: [OM] The place of digital photography ?
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:39:05 GMT
Bob Carlos Clarke and ILFORD would like to acknowledge the kind
support of OLYMPUS Cameras. "

That seems a little out of place, given Oly's focus on digital imaging!

Remember, this was from Ilford's web site, not that of Olympus. They have always been good to Carlos Clarke. It looks like Ilford are seeing the migration of film/paper manufacturers to digital (ref: Agfa APX25)and want to keep a foot in both camps. After all, they are still the no.1 monochrome company, and that medium was declared a dodo not so long ago. Monochrome is enjoying a healthy revival of fortunes, with a huge choice of great films, papers & chemicals.

As for Olympus, sadly their 'support' for the OM series is weak, virtually non-existent. I requested an OM3Ti/OM4Ti brochure from Olympus UK in August and was told they were out of stock. It finally arrived on Monday, with apologies due to re-printing in Germany. The information is the same as the 1998 product, with just one zoom listed - the 35-80. Oddly, Ian Aston had a clutch of these brochures when he visited my local camera club at the beginning of September. I can't quite understand why.

A side note: I am _still_ trying to contact Ian Aston about the Vision Age sets. He is a most elusive character, and I will mail the list when I have an update.

Simon E.