Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part 1, The Primal Scream (loooong

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part 1, The Primal Scream (loooong reply)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:23:40 -0700
On 1 Nov 2000, at 10:42, Motor Sport Visions Photograp wrote:

> I'll bite too...

Me too....

[WAKE-UP CALL TO BIKER LEX....  YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS
ONE!]

Two of my friends, Mike and Jean, were married in June.  They're both
into Harley Davidson motorcycles, so the wedding was held at the
Annual Ride for Sight biker fundraiser.  The bride and bridesmaids wore
traditional gowns, but the groom, best man and preacher were all in
their colors.  First time I've ever seen a leather jacket with "Bikers for
Jesus" on it!  (Worn by the preacher, of course!)  The wedding party
(including the bride's elderly mom) was brought into (and out of) the
ceremony area in a procession of choppers, trikes, and other assorted
motorcycles.

Anyway, they had a "pro" do the standard shots, but also asked anyone
who took photos to share copies of their prints for a wedding scrapbook.
 My girlfriend (Pentax K1000...  yech!!) and I (Olympus/Zuiko of course!)
blasted through quite a few rolls and got some excellent shots.  Given
the amount of equipment we both took, and the amount of film we used,
some people even thought there were *two* pros taking the photos!  <G>

Anyway, when we took the happy couple their copy of our prints, they
picked one of mine as their absolute favorite photo, including the ones
taken by the pro.  It was a simple shot of the wedding party while the
vows were being said.  The wedding party was facing the camera, and
the preacher was standing between them and me with his back to the
camera.

Why'd they like it so much???  Because, in my rush to get some shots
of the vows, I didn't notice the "BEER GARDENS" sign on the wall
above and behind the wedding party!!!  It almost ended up being the
most prominent feature of the photo!!! <Grin!>

Moral of the story:  I agree that the wants/expectations of the bride,
groom and their families is *far* more important than budget!  If they
want "fancy stuff" done, then it's probably better to hire a pro than risk it
on shots taken by friends.  But, those shots by friends can *also*
impart some precious moments, too!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Awhile back we visited our friends and I noticed that the famous
"Beer Gardens" shot had been enlarged (from the print) to 8x10 and
framed in an 11x14 frame with a really nice matte border!  Didn't see
any of the pro's photos on the wall!  <GRIN!>

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill