[OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part II, Saved From Meltdown

Subject: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part II, Saved From Meltdown
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:14:28 +0000
As the Winder Turns
(or John Shoots His First Wedding)

---=== Part II, Saved From Meltdown ===---
(or, John gets some professional help because he needs it for getting into
this.)

In the last installment, our hapless hero ends (and started for that
matter) with a primal scream when the realization hits of what he must do.
Fortunately, he happens to know a local pro photog who does weddings
regularly, so John calls him:

[phone ringing on other end of line]

Pro:  "Hello, XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX Photography."

John:  "HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!"

Pro:  "What's up?"

John:  I gotta do a wedding in November.

Pro:  "Hey, just give them my card."

John:  "You know I swore I would never, ever, ever, ever do a wedding.  I
would have referred them to you, except they're not even close to local,
they're hundreds of miles away in a different state, and I was kinda, sorta
volunteered for it.  More like 'nudged' into it."

Pro:  "Hmmmmmmm.  How'd that happen?"

John:  [gory detail explanation omitted]  "How would you like a free
apprentice for six weeks?  I need to see how this is done."

Pro:  "Lemme look at my calendar.  Yep, I have a wedding every weekend
between now and then, except one.  You're welcome to come, watch, help and
shoot a few yourself."

John:  "Great.  You're sure this is OK?  I don't want to get in the way of
your business."

Pro:  "Yep.  I'll let you shoot a few in between mine with the formals.
With the receptions, you just shoot anything important happening."

John:  "Great.  I need to see how groups are posed, at least get the feel
for reception shooting, and make certain the gear is working right."

Pro:  "Hey, I don't have a wedding that weekend.  If you wanna borrow the
studio lights, just watch the bulbs, they're $50 each."

John:  "Ummmm, thanks, but no.  The car will already be loaded down, likely
no room for it, and I don't want to take any risks with your gear.  I'd
never forgive myself if anything happened to it.  That's your bread 'n butter."

Pro:  "Next Saturday, XXXXXXX XXXXXX Church, ##:## PM, in XXXXXXXXXXX.
Bring your gear."

John:  "Thanks.  I really didn't want to go into this completely in the
blind.  Now if anyone claims I need professional help for allowing myself
to get into this, I can tell them I'm already getting it."

[Conversation concludes with "how is wife and rugrat" smalltalk.]

Stay tuned for the next episode:  Flash Dance.

-- John