Re: [OM] fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] fungus
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:34:43 +0000
Yep, that's classic fungus.  You can still shoot with it.  I would
quarantine it from being in a bag next to any other lenses (the spores).
It etches (or eats) the lens coatings.  You can still shoot with it too,
with slight degradation in contrast until it starts to become severe.  You
can have it cleaned, and if it's not severe the damage to the lens coatings
won't be either.

However, you've guessed it, the very low cost of a 50/1.8, even a new "MC"
one, doesn't make it economically repairable.  If it were a high end, rare
and expensive Zuiko, it would be worthwhile to try to salvage the lens.

Make certain you are storing your lenses in a dry place.  Like any other
fungus, it loves dampness and darkness.

-- John